Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Photo Art

I have a small show on Pender Island starting on June 16th, so I've been preparing a few small pieces using pictures taken in Hawaii and Newfoundland.
I printed the pictures using Electric Quilt Printables-Cotton Lawn Fabric Sheets. I pulled out some batiks and handpainted fabric and played around with simple placements that included some piecing and applique.






It was a blast to see what each picture could suggest, I kept the designs simple and let the photos speak. Instead of making traditional little quilts I fused the pieced fabrics and pictures onto fusible stiff interfacing, Fast 2 Fuse. I also zig zagged around the edges, so they were easy to make and little fuss.




I think these would make great gifts and they could be a good project for a group....better get busy and amke some more!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're lovely, Susan. Of course they're all built around great photos, which would be a must. Congratulations on your show.

I especially like the opposite "positive/negative" effects you have going on in the first two landscapes. They'd look great hung side-by-side

laura west kong said...

Those are wonderful and look like such fun to make too! =(^_^)=

Anonymous said...

Oh look.......... I see embellishment and shells on that quilt! You go girl! Mis seeing you Susan and loved these latest quilts with the photos.
;-) Heidi Lund

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Beautiful photos and great little quilts.

Fulvia said...

Congratulations on the show, Susan and on these truly lovely textile expressions!

bronwen said...

I finally got online to see these. They are fantastic!! You are truly talented! Congrats on the show!

Amanda Jean said...

these are amazing!