Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quilt Canada and more.....

I returned on Sunday from 7 days of fantastic experiences in Calgary....well, it snowed too!
I was honoured to judge the National Juried Show, 92 entries from across Canada, Japan and the United States. My fellow judges Lily Lam and Bonny Voice were a pleasure to work with, I felt we made a great team with extensive experience in wearable art, contemporary and traditional quilting. I hope we'll be meeting up again soon.
Some of the categories were challenging to judge, the entries were of high quality with excellent designs and outstanding workmanship. Other categories had fewer quilts, quilters aren't making (or entering) as many large and bed quilts and the traditional areas weren't as well represented. If I was going after prize money and ribbons, those areas would be where I put my efforts!
The top prize money this year was a $10,000 award from Wonderfil Threads, the largest prize, I believe, for any quilt in a Canadian show. I was looking for pictures at the http://www.canadianquilter.com/ site but perhaps next week.
I taught two workshops after judging. both were 2 days long so it was an opportunity to explore and work more intensivly on the topics.
First was Tasters Choice...a "buffet" of techniques such as Paintsticks, image transfer, foiling and Angelina, stamping and more. Students get to try different products and we spend time discussing which technique works best for the effects they want and where in the design and construction of a quilt they would use such techniques.
More class pictures to come!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh, how I wanted to be there - the timing just wasn't quite right. Looking forward to more posts about the show!

Gloria said...

Looks like a great time! Love the snowflakes!