Monday, November 5, 2012

Plans for the Week

My daughter came to visit yesterday to help me move my computer into the studio. That is almost the last task before I can call the studio reno finally completed! On the way to the ferry (we live on an island, a large island but ferry travel is a way of life for us!) she stopped and picked up my order of 10 yards of Essex cloth.
If you are a fan of surface design/dyeing/ soy wax you may be familiar with Essex, but if not, its a wonderful blend of 55% linen and 45% cotton. I have found that this blend takes colour beautifully, linen has the wonderful ability of holding texture and depth when dyed. Perhaps you have noticed it was well?


So I'll be layering wax and dye onto my Essex cloth over the next few days. I'll be doing some colour trials to get one or two-colour solids on small (fat quarter) samples and then work towards a couple of larger pieces.

I don't have a large dye room so work mainly with 1/2 - 3/4 yard pieces at a time.
Here's a piece that I worked on over the last two days. I think I am very happy with it!


I figure if I set out the plan for the week, then I've committed in public what I'm going to do. That's the plan anyway.....

1 comment:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Wow...I love the last one!