Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pomodoro Technique!


Yes, Pomodoro really does refer to tomatoes, are you surprised that I'm writing about tomatoes? Actually, I grow some pretty amazing tomatoes in my garden each year, but this blog post isn't about that either!

I first encountered the Pomodoro Technique in a Robert Genn newsletter  http://clicks.robertgenn.com/pomodoro.php and thought it would be good to try it out. If you know me, you may know that I have a touch of ADD and am so easily distracted!

The premise of the PT is to block your work into 25 minute segments with a short break in between. Some research has shown that repeated breaks during work actually increase productivity. Plus, those of us hunched down over computers and sewing machines should be giving our neck and shoulders a regular break to stretch and relax.

So, I've been giving this technique a trial and really find it helpful, I'm less stressed and can focus a bit more knowing that I have a break coming up that is planned and deserved!

Oh, and the word Pomodoro refers to the red tomato kitchen timers that could be used to schedule your breaks. Me? I use the clock on my IPad, you could also use your computer (I found a timer at http://timer.onlineclock.net/alarm.html) or cell phone.
 
 
What do you think? Would you try this?

No comments: